GhanaWrites Literary Group organizes two literary contests in a year, namely; GW Literary Contest for adult writers of African descent, and GW Contest for Teen Writers of African descent. We define adult writer as a writer above 19 years of age. And teen writer is 19 years old or below.
GW seeks to publish and reward the best of contemporary literature from Africa and to provide a space for critical conversations about the literary arts.
- Writers can only make one submission, in one genre, at a time. In general, work submitted to GW Literary Contests should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. In case work is accepted for publication elsewhere, the entrant should write to us to withdraw the entry.
- Submissions from Adult writers should be prepared as one Word document. This document must have a cover page that includes a 150-word bio and contact details of the author (name, email address and phone number).
- Teen writers should submit a 50-word bio and contact details (Name of School, Location, Parents’/Guardians’ name and Telephone numbers.
- For poetry, submit a maximum of three poems. Each poem should not exceed 30 lines.
- Prose should not exceed 5000 words (Short-stories, Essays, Fiction and Nonfiction)
- Please format your submissions in Times New Roman, font size 12, double spaced.
- The subject line of your submission email should be the name of the contest you are entering. Either ‘GW Literary Contest 2022’ or ‘GW Contest for Teen Writers 2022’
- Send submissions to editior@ghanawrites
- Deadline: GW accepts submissions from 1st of February to 30th May every year.
The contest Winners are announced at an award ceremony in Accra, Ghana in August every year. Prizes include cash, publication contracts, plaques, etc.